MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

Crews battle house fire in Niskayuna

Photo Courtesy: Peter Barber, The Daily Gazette.

NISKAYUNA , NY (WRGB)---Crews were called to a home on Grandview Ave. in Niskayuna Tuesday night to battle a fire.

The first calls came in around 7:30 p.m. When crews arrived on scene, flames were shooting out the second floor of the home.

Fire officials tell us the cause of the fire was electrical, and it was accidental.

Homeowner Steven Maloney says it started in his son's bedroom. He says he was shocked when he found out how it happened, and described it as a freak accident.

"Upstairs in my sons bedroom there's a Derek Jeter sign, a long thin metal Derek Jeter sign." Maloney said. "He had the Derek Jeter sign hanging up in his bedroom, well I guess it fell down and no one knew it, and it sliced an electrical cord that was plugged into the socket."

Maloney thought a fuse blew, so he switched the circuit breaker. That caused the cord to spark, and it started a fire in the bedroom.

"My son started screaming 'there's a fire, there's a fire, there's a fire'," Maloney said.

He says he tried to put the fire out, but it spread within seconds, so he and his family got out of the house quickly. No one was harmed.

The family returned home Wednesday morning to look at the destruction. "It's a nightmare, just a nightmare." Steven Maloney said.

Maloney says the second floor is completely destroyed, and part of the living room ceiling caved in. Fire officials say it's up to the insurance company if the home will be deemed a complete loss. Maloney says the structure is fine, but the inside will need to be gutted and redone.

Maloney and his family tried to gather whatever they could salvage Wednesday morning, and he said he's hoping for the Yankees to win Wednesday night's game.

This week is Fire Prevention Week, and this is a good reminder to be prepared.

Make sure you have working smoke detectors, and plan escape routes with your family.

The Maloney family says those two things helped them tremendously when the fire started.


Trending