DOH warns of possible measles exposure in Saratoga, Warren Counties
CAPITAL REGION -- The New York State Health Department pushed a warning Saturday morning - a Warren County healthcare worker, confirmed to have measles, was in five different locations between June 5th and June 8th.
Two of them, in Saratoga County: The Home Depot on Route 50, between noon and 2 pm on June 5th; and Saratoga Stadium restaurant on June 7th, between 6 and 9:30pm.
Other locations include four spots in Warren County on June 6th, 7th and 8th.
"It's highly contagious, that's the problem."
Dr. James Saperstone, a pediatrician in Schenectady, says the virus remains alive in the air for a couple of hours - so it was still around after the individual left these places.
"It's spread through the air, so it's really hard to stop breathing or to know when to cover yourself or wear a mask,” Saperstone said.
Some told us today even though they have the vaccine, they worry about how easily it is to contract the disease in situations like this.
"It's concerning that you don't even have to come in contact with someone to get it," one person told us.
But Saperstone and the health department reassure that you're not likely to get measles if you're vaccinated and immune.
"If you've been exposed, you just want to double check that you've had the proper doses of the measles vaccine,” he said.
Saperstone reminds everyone the vaccines do work -- and could save lives.
Anyone who visited the following locations may have been exposed:
• Home Depot (garden section of store), 3043 Route 50, Saratoga Springs, N.Y. between 12:00 – 2:00 p.m. on June 5, 2017.
• Hudson Headwaters Health Network – Warrensburg Health Center, 3767 Main St., Warrensburg, N.Y. between 7:25 a.m. - 7:00 p.m. on June 6, 2017.
• Hudson Headwaters Health Network, 9 Carey Rd., Queensbury, N.Y. between 7:00 a.m. - 12:15 p.m. on June 7, 2017.
• Hudson Headwaters Health Network - Warrensburg Health Center, 3767 Main St., Warrensburg, N.Y. between 10:30 a.m. – 6:30 p.m. on June 7, 2017.
• Saratoga Stadium restaurant, 389 Broadway, Saratoga Springs, N.Y. between 6:15 - 9:30 p.m. on June 7, 2017.
• Hudson Headwaters Health Network – West Mountain Health Services, 161 Carey Rd., Building 1, Queensbury, N.Y. between 7:45 – 10:35 a.m. on June 8, 2017.
Click here to see the DOH fact sheet on measles.