Troy Fire investigating 5th suspicious fire to break out at vacant building

Troy officials are investigating these five fires as suspicious. It is not yet clear whether they have all been started by the same person or group, but that has not been ruled out.

TROY -- Dywana Cunningham was at work last night when the fire broke out at the vacant building next to hers on 2nd Avenue.

“This is too close. I'm afraid of going to work and coming home and there's another fire,” Cunningham said.

Fire officials say the fire was small and started in the center of the zombie property.

Troy Fire Chief Tom Garrett says this is now the 5th suspicious fire to happen at a vacant building in Troy in just the last several weeks.

“No power to it, no reason for the fire to start there,” Garrett said.

It resembles the description of four other recent fires nearby.

The last fires happened Tuesday and Wednesday last week. A suspicious fire July 5th spread from a vacant building to a neighboring business, and a fire in June leveled an abandoned pharmacy building.

The fire chief says there's not enough evidence to connect all five fires, but investigators aren't ruling out the possibility one person or group could be responsible.

“They’re all under investigation; we ask the residents to be vigilant and keep your lights on at your property,” Garrett said.

Police are asking the public for surveillance video taken last night (July 16) between 11 p.m. and midnight, when the fire on 2nd Avenue was reported.

Mayor Patrick Madden is asking the public to keep watch and report anything suspicious, especially in the early morning hours, when nearly all the fires started.

“Let us know what you see. We can't be at every one of these buildings 24 hours a day,” Madden said.

Cunningham is so on edge about what's happening, she's calling on the city to reinstate a curfew until the crimes are solved.

“They should put the curfew back in effect, because there are a lot of kids out here late at night and they shouldn't even be out here,” Cunningham said.

The fire chief says the building that caught fire last night had been bank-owned until just a few months ago.

We're told police will be increasing patrols in the fire areas, and fire investigators will be visiting nearby homes to see if anyone saw anything that could help their investigation.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off