Channel 6 News - Search Results

The following is an archived video story. The text content of that video story is available below for reference. The original video has been deleted and is no longer available.

UPDATE: Investigation continues in fatal Schaghticoke attack

UPDATE 12:24PM 7/7

SCHAGHTICOKE -- State Police have released the autopsies for the couple beaten to death on Thursday.

According to the autopsies, both Michael and Cynthia Matala suffered sever skull fractures and brain injuries due to blunt force trauma that caused their death.

Extradition proceedings will take place early this week against Anthony Repp, son of Cynthia Matala, so that he can be returned to New York to face Murder charges

UPDATE 1:44PM 7/6
SCHAGHTICOKE -- According to State Police, Cynthia Matala has died from her injuries she sustained from the assault by her son on Thursday.

SCHAGHTICOKE -- Authorities are investigating a murder in Rensselaer County.  One man is dead and his wife is at the hospital after her son is accused of attacking them at their home.  Police are now working to bring the suspect back to New York after he fled to Massachusetts.

Police say Anthony Repp, 22, jumped on a freight train near the home and was captured by police in Deerfield, Massachusetts, 80 miles away.  If and when they get him back to New York, he will be charged with murder in the second degree.

"I'm pretty well depressed, disgusted," said Harry Matala, Michael Matala's uncle.

In northern Rensselaer County, there are quite a few Matala's and the name is known.  Unknown now is a motive as to why a son would allegedly bludgeon his mother, and kill his step-father.

"You can't depend on these young kids today," Harry Matala said.  "You don't know what they're going to do."

Investigators Friday combed the home of Michael Matala, 62, and his wife, Cynthia, 58.  She is in critical condition.  Police were here last night searching for hours for Cynthia's son, Anthony Repp.  Neighbors put their porch lights on and kept close to home.

"We just knew that someone was in the woods, and they were looking for him, and keep the doors locked," said neighbor Jill Patterson.  "It was a little nerve-wracking last night."

Investigators say Repp hopped on a freight train and made it all the way to another state, where police caught up to him.

"The suspect is in custody in Massachusetts," said Rensselaer County Richard McNally.  "Having been interviewed, will be brought back to New York by waiver of extradition or a formal extradition preceding.  The case will proceed from there."

Michael Matala's aunt told CBS6 the suspect was recently discharged from the Navy.

"A week ago the police were there to control him then," said Virginia Matala.  "They should have took care of him then."

She went on to say, "I heard that he was drinking yesterday and that he was left off at the end of the driveway before he went in to them."

Virginia reflects upon a good family, and a hard-working man now gone.  "I wondered why it ever happened," she said.

Authorities say it could be a while before we hear an update on Repp's status or return to New York State.
Advertise with us!
Advertise with us!