WRGB Search Results

The following is an archived video story. The text content of that video story is available below for reference. The original video has been deleted and is no longer available.

UPDATE: Strange odor in Cohoes is non-toxic

COHOES -- A chemical reaction from a Cohoes plant is behind the odor smelt throughout the city on Wednesday night. Mayor George Primeau said an acetone-like product used to make Plexiglas at Norlite Lightweight Aggregate on Saratoga Street went through a filter, causing a gas that led to the nontoxic smell.

Residents were advised through the emergency notifications system to keep windows closed and turn off air conditioning units until the smell dissipated.

The Department of Environmental Conservation and Cohoes Fire Department were called to investigate, but the Cohoes Fire Chief confirms, as of Thursday morning, the odor has dissipated and it's okay for residents to re-open their windows and use air conditioning.

The NYS DEC released this statement:

DEC staff were on-site at the Norlite facility late last night and through the early hours of this morning following reports of odors in the area.  It was determined that vapors had been released through the ventilation system due to a ruptured disk in one of the tanks.  Repairs have been made to the system.

DEC has taken samples of the substances in the tank and materials released and is investigating the incident in conjunction with state and local health officials.

For information about potential health impacts, please contact Joe Crua the NYS DOH at 402-7880.

The material in question at the Norlite release was Methyl Methacrylate, which is not an acetone-based product.