Channel 6 News - Search Results
Schenectady landmark getting historical marker
SCHENECTADY (AP) -- Officials in Schenectady are planning to unveil a historical marker outside a building where a family-run pharmacy did business in the city for nearly a century.
Kerste's Drug Store was a longtime local institution during Schenectady's heyday as a thriving manufacturing city. The store was opened in 1893 and operated by Henry Kerste until 1940, when Ercole Conti took over ownership.
Conti and his family operated the pharmacy until 1976, when he retired as stiffer competition arose from supermarkets and large drug-store chains. Other businesses later occupied the building, now home to an accounting office.
On Saturday, city officials will unveil a new historical marker outside the three-story building with its distinctive Dutch Revival roof. Members of the Conti family plan to attend the event.