Channel 6 News - Search Results
Home destroyed in Tuesday afternoon fire
ALBANY -- One woman escaped uninjured after her home caught fire around 4:30 p.m. Tuesday. Firefighters said it started in the rear of 232 First St and quickly spread.
"I know that the doors are blocked. I don't know what's inside because we haven't been able to get past there," said Deputy Chief Frank Nerney with the Albany Fire Department.
Firefighters believe the homeowner may have been a "hoarder." Neighbors said items were piled from floor to ceiling inside the home.
"I just saw the fire start in the back of the yard. It was a big blaze in the back of the yard. I came back inside. detectives told me to come back outside. I wasn't sure what had happened," said Allester Henry, who lives next door.
It took about four hours for crews to get the fire under control. A demolition crew began tearing down the home around 10 p.m., but had to stop halfway through because of hotspots.
Power was initially knocked out to the block, but was restored around 8:30 p.m.