WRGB Search Results
Package thief hitting homes in Colonie
COLONIE - Police are urging residents to re-think having online purchases delivered to their front doors.
Half a dozen doorstep thefts have occurred in recent weeks, and police believe at least 5 of them are the work of one man.
Lieutenant Bob Winn says a surveillance camera at one of the targeted homes captured a white male dressed all in black, approaching the front door and taking a just delivered package. That incident happened December 3rd. Winn says the stolen items to date include an Iphone, kids' toys, and a Swiffer.
The Police Department released the following information:
The Colonie Police Department is releasing photos of a suspect and vehicle wanted in connection with the theft of a package off the doorstep of a Boght Road residence. These images were captured by the homeowners surveillance system when the theft occurred on 12-03-13 at 3:12pm. There have been 5 other reported package thefts in the Town of Colonie since 11-22-13. These took place during the hours of 11:00am and 5:30pm and have occurred on the following streets: Boght Road, Windrose Way, Corina Court, Dutch Meadows Drive, Wakefield Lane, and Peachtree Lane. With the exception of Peachtree Lane, the streets are in the northern section of town. The stolen packages had been sent by UPS, FedEx and the US Postal Service and included a variety of items from a plastic shelving unit to electronics.The attached pictures show the suspect is a White Male with sunglasses and dressed all in black and the vehicle is a Silver Hyundai Elantra four door sedan. Anyone that recognizes the suspect or vehicle or has not reported a suspected stolen package is urged to contact the Colonie Police Department at 783-2744.
Tips to prevent package theft -
- Request a signature confirmation of delivery. By doing this, the deliverer will have to wait until youre available or deliver the package to a neighbor.
- If you have an understanding boss, have your packages delivered to you at work.
- Track packages online to see exactly when theyre sent to your house for delivery. If youre out of town at the time, phone a neighbor to pick up the package for you.
- Leave special instructions for where to deliver the packages. A suggested place is on the side or back of the house, so that the package is out of sight from the road.
- Residents should contact police about any suspicious persons or vehicles observed in their neighborhood.