WRGB Search Results

The following is an archived video story. The text content of that video story is available below for reference. The original video has been deleted and is no longer available.

Colonie neighborhood back to normal after Friday night stand-off

COLONIE -- A Colonie neighborhood goes back to normal Saturday, after a standoff with police Friday night lasts several hours.

"It's a little nerve wracking having gunfire right outside of your house," says Kailyn Smith, who lives right across the street from where SWAT teams and police surrounded a home, and one woman was stabbed.

Kailyn Smith and her roommate hunkered down, locked their doors, and waited in this otherwise quiet Colonie neighborhood.

"I was nervous I was a nervous wreck. For my dogs safety and my roommates safety. We've never had any trouble here we've lived here for about 2 1/2 years," she says.

Police were called to 89 Consaul Road around 830 friday night after they were alerted that a woman there had been stabbed. We're told her boyfriend, 24 year old Timothy Anatriello, was armed with a shotgun and knife threatening to harm everyone inside. While SWAT teams surrounded the home, he refused to drop his gun, then shots were fired.

A short while later the victims father exited the home safely, but Anatriello's girlfriend was taken to Albany Med for stab wounds to her legs, and contusions to her face.

"Unfortunately these situations can happen in any kind of neighborhood. It's a domestic situation, it escalated and became a standoff. But the standoff is basically a situation where we wanted to make sure it was perfectly safe for our officers to enter, to arrest this individual and to take him into custody. It's for the safety of everybody that this thing panned out the way that it did," Steve Heider, Chief of Colonie Police Dept. tells us.

An entire stretch of Consaul road between Watervliet-Shaker and New Karner Road was closed for several hours. Some neighbors tell us they were alerted to go to their basement, and they were told to stay down there for several hours, they tell us about five and they received little to no information.

"We never got full details," Smith tells us. 

Police say nearly 75 homes were alerted through a reversed 9-1-1 call. Anyone who did not have a basement was brought to a safe location. We're also told that this is not Anatriello's first run in with police.

He was arraigned on several felony charges Saturday morning.