WRGB Search Results

The following is an archived video story. The text content of that video story is available below for reference. The original video has been deleted and is no longer available.

Emergency room reopens after Hazmat incident

AMSTERDAM - Business at St. Mary's hospital is back to normal today, after an evacuation of the emergency department last night.

Officials say a patient came in late Monday afternoon, after having ingested an insecticide.  She was omitting a potent odor from the product she had ingested, and there was concern the fumes could be dangerous to others.  Jerri Cortese, spokeswoman, says the evacuation forced them to move current patients to other parts of the hospital and reroute ambulance traffic to other hospitals.

The fumes were eliminated early this morning and normal operations resumed.

The insecticide the woman ingested was malathion, a poison used to control pests in agricultural settings.  It is also used in lice treatment products.

Amsterdam police are not releasing the woman's name and say no criminal charges will be filed.  Fumes from malathion would need to be very concentrated to cause harm.  The levels present at St. Mary's hospital Monday night created a nuisance, but no injuries.

Read more about the incident here: http://www.cbs6albany.com/news/features/top-story/stories/hospital-hazmat-scare-12695.shtml.