Teen charged in 5-year-old cousin's murder

Teen charged in 5-year-old cousin's murder

Channel 6 News - Search Results

The following is an archived video story. The text content of that video story is available below for reference. The original video has been deleted and is no longer available.

Police: Atlanta father left child in hot car

ATLANTA - (NEWSOURCE)  Police have released news details in the death of a baby left in his father's SUV while dad was at work.

Police now say the father went to his car at least once during his work day.

Investigators are suggesting the dad had to know the boy was in the car.

Evidence shows Justin Harris knew his 22-month old son was in his sweltering SUV, sources tell CNN affiliate WSB.

And two search warrants have been issued for Harris' home address, a Cobb County court official tells CNN.

Detectives are also searching Harris' SUV for clues to determine what or who killed this little boy, one week ago.

Harris told Atlanta-area investigators he'd forgotten to drop the toddler off at a daycare center, on his way to work.

Then realized the boy was still strapped into his car-seat, while driving home from work.  Seven hours later.
But "much has changed about the circumstances leading up to the death of this 22-month old since it was first reported.", according to a cobb county officer.

Sergeant Dana Pierce would not give specifics, citing the ongoing investigation but he tells CNN "What I know about this case shocks my conscience as a police officer, a father and a grandfather."

A woman who claims she's the child's mother told cnn... She's been advised to not speak with the media.
Witnesses say last Wednesday afternoon, Harris veered into this parking lot.

"Hopped out of the driver's seat, opened the back door, pulled his child out, laid him on the concrete, tried to resuscitate him."

But it was too late. 

"I think that it impossible for this to have been intentional especially from the father's reaction. You could feel his sorrow and his hurt."

Cobb county patrol officers were in the area when the 911 calls came in.

According to the sergeant  "... Questions began to be asked about the moments that led up to their arrival at the scene, some of those answers were not making sense to the first responders."

Pierce tells CNN Harris began cursing and screaming at officers.

Harris was then handcuffed and placed in the back of a patrol car, taken to police headquarters where he was questioned,  then arrested and charged with cruelty to a child as well as felony murder.

"He's fully aware of what he's charged with and he'll be entering a plea of not guilty at this time."
Calls to Harris' attorney have not been returned.  Harris is being held without bond.
Advertise with us!
Advertise with us!