Amber Alert issued for abducted 5-year-old

Amber Alert issued for abducted 5-year-old

Channel 6 News - Search Results

The following is an archived video story. The text content of that video story is available below for reference. The original video has been deleted and is no longer available.

Fire destroys Troy business

TROY -- A very dangerous situation for fire crews in Troy, fighting a blaze at Pete's Grocery on 6th Avenue in Troy early Sunday morning. We're told because it broke out in the basement it put fire fighters at risk. Luckily though, none were injured.

"Basement fires are particularly difficult because you have to go down through the heat and smoke to get to where the fire is. The your means of exiting is one entrance, we always like to have two ways out. So it puts you in a dangerous position to fight the fire. If the fire should extend quickly the guys could be trapped down there," says James Hughes, Assistant Fire Chief of the Troy Fire Department.

He tells us they had to cut a hole through the floor, to get down to the basement, then use a distributor nozzle to fight the flames. The calls came in around 9 Sunday morning, and over 20 fire fighters were on scene. The owner of Pete's did not want to speak to the media, but we are told by neighbors that the store was just remodeled.

"They just built that store I mean probably a few months ago. They put so much work into it that now it's gone over who knows what. I mean the guy works his butt off to do what he did in that store, I mean he went from one store to upgrade so he could make more business to his customers and to make this society a little bit better," says Shacana Suarez.

Suarez says it's one of the only places around she feels safe shopping with her kids. 

"It was the most safe store around this neighborhood because of the police station being right there," she says.

Initial reports show the cause might be electrical, but no official cause has been determined yet. The building is still structurally sound but the store will have to completely rebuild it's interior. Electricity was also shut off through out the entire building.

Advertise with us!
Advertise with us!