WRGB Search Results
Cleanup after second storm in a week
David Masi's back yard isn't what it was Thursday morning. He lost several trees and an abundance of shade to the storm that blew through Thursday evening. He surveyed the damage.
"The garage door being blown in and sucking stuff right out of the garage, that's about it that I've found so far," says Masi. "I can't find the trash can. I've walked across the field. That's about a 40-acre field - it's gone.
David Masi's neighbor lost the plumbing and wiring under her home and the skirting around the bottom.
Underneath here you could hear it crumble and then I heard the tree fall. It just missed the garage, thank god but you could hear it come down.
A couple of miles away at the Ben King residence, they're feeling lucky. King said about 20 people had taken a break from barn-building when the storm started blowing hard. Before they could get out the barn was down. He says only a few got hurt with only minor injuries.
In Johnstown a price chopper worker said it was a lightning strike that forced the store to close.
In Gloversville, flooded intersections and more downed trees, and a fire on temple street. A tenant said it was a lightning strike. A neighbor said she feared for her home.
They stopped working on this house and kept working on our house so our house wouldn't catch because that one was already gone.
I looked at the back of the house, the whole back of the house was black smoke coming out all the windows. Then I walk around to the front, the whole house is on fire. They said, go in there and grab everything that you can, grab what's important to you and come on back out. You know, I - you did go back in? I went back in and grabbed some money grabbed my X-Box and got out of there.
Because of the weather conditions and lack of manpower, we had another engine out at Orchard Street with kids and people trapped in a house that got hit by a tree, so we were just very limited, and we did the best we could under the circumstances.
Chief Groff said he thinks that fire began on the 2nd floor.
He didn't know what caused it and said he had not heard anything about a lightning strike.