ALBANY NY (WRGB) -Area high schools and their students are responding after Governor Cuomo changed course on his guidance for high school graduation ceremonies over the weekend.
Sunday, Cuomo said he will now allow in-person ceremonies to take place outdoors with social distancing and up to 150 people.
Some local high schools are considering changing plans, while others say they cannot.
Schalmont High School Senior Hamza Noor described his reaction upon learning in-person high school graduation ceremonies are a go in New York.
"It was a shock," Noor said. “That was really nice to see that my voice got heard all the way to the governor.”
CBS 6's Anne McCloy interviewed Noor back in May when he signed a petition that now has more than 6,600 signatures asking the governor to allow traditional ceremonies with social distancing.
Noor said a virtual ceremony wouldn't do his family justice, especially because they immigrated to the U.S. from Pakistan in 2011. Anne brought his story to Governor Cuomo last week during his daily briefing.
PREVIOUS: Petitions and letters urge Cuomo to allow high school graduations with social distancing
“He's an immigrant from Pakistan this would mean the world to this family,” McCloy said at last week’s briefing.
Anne asked Noor about the exchange Monday.
Anne: "Do you feel that had something to do with him changing his mind?"
“He’s got to listen to his future voters, we’re all turning 18, he listened to our concerns and I think that definitely played a role,” Noor said.
MORE: Governor OKs outdoor graduations, within limits, beginning June 26
Right now Schalmont Central School District has plans well underway for a drive-through ceremony for 153 graduates June 19th but after Sunday's revelation, the Superintedent said the following:
"We are currently reviewing the new guidance from the governor's office and ascertaining any possible ways to implement it."
Shenedehowa High School who are planning a much larger ceremony, with nearly 800 students, will not be changing course at this point.
“That's just not something that would work for Shen.”
ALSO: Local photographer edits graduating seniors into class photo
Principal Ron Agostinoni says the district has planned an elaborate ceremony June 18th, where parents will be able to drive up and take photos of their student crossing right in front of the stage. He says unless the governor makes more changes, the plan is still on as scheduled.
“If it's not going to be more meaningful, we're not going to make a change and there would have to be big changes for that to happen,” Agostinoni said.
CBS 6 did check in with the Governor's Office Monday. We’re told guidance will be forthcoming, and the office reiterates that the new executive order for in-person ceremonies including 150 people takes effect June 26th.