December 22, 2019 — A thank-you to Adam Nato with Mohawk Ambulance Service for joining CBS 6 Sunday morning to talk about cold weather safety.
He says frostbite and hypothermia are two dangerous and potentially life-threatening emergencies.
Mohawk Ambulance Service has some advice for the season.
Power outages and the loss of running water can present serious threats in the winter months.
When temperatures are below freezing, your water pipes are in danger of freezing and possibly bursting. Run faucets at a drip to prevent.
Cities will open CODE BLUE shelters when temperatures are dangerously cold.
Know where emergency shelters are and go there in the event of a power/water outage. Check on neighbors who may be vulnerable, the elderly, those with disabilities. Bring pets indoors. If it’s too cold for you outside, it’s too cold for them.
All fuel-burning equipment, fireplaces and woodstoves, should be vented to the outside and kept clear of debris. Be sure to check these.
Never use a generator or gas burning stove inside or in the garage. These can build up dangerous fumes like carbon monoxide.
Don’t ignore winter travel advisories. If officials tell you it’s dangerous to be on the roads, take that advice seriously.
If you absolutely have to go out, make sure your fluids are topped off and keep your gas gauge above half full if you can.
It’s a good idea to keep an emergency kit in your car:
- Food and water
- First aid supplies and medication
- Hygiene products
- Cell phone charger
Always tell someone where you’re going beforehand so if you get into trouble, they know you may need help.