If back-to-school shopping for your kiddos just means buying more khaki pants, polos, and blazers, it’s understandable to be jealous of the school districts that don’t require super strict dress codes. But, there are creative ways to add a little personality to your child’s school uniform—even if the principal is doing outfit checks at the door!
Below, seven Pinterest-worthy ways to jazz up even the most boring of uniforms:
1. Add some foot flair. Popping on a pair of bright socks or stockings with a subtle design is a stylish way to show your kid’s personality in a sea of school colors. Polka dots, stripes, knee-highs with ruffles, or even socks printed with donuts and cupcakes are all extremely popular choices. Don’t know where to start? Famous Footwear and The Children’s Place have options for everyone.
2. Do a dapper ‘do. Even if your child’s school doesn’t allow jewelry, hair accessories like headbands, barrettes, and scrunchies are a stylish way to liven things up. The Children’s Place has purrfect kitty rhinestone headbands, and for a magical look, OshKosh B’Gosh has sparkly unicorn hair clips.
4. Brighten up the backpack. Say “bye bye” to boring backpacks. Your kid needs to carry books, homework, and lunch to school anyway…why not do it in style? This emoji-print backpack from The Children’s Place has all of your kid’s favorites (who doesn’t love a donut on their bag?), while this pretty pastel holographic backpack from OshKosh B’Gosh is perfect for any girly girl. And for a backpack that will take your kid from kindergarten to high school in style, L.L. Bean has sturdy bags in every color imaginable.
5. Step up the shoe game. Some schools have strict shoe requirements, but for those that let you wear any closed-toe flat, play up the color and style! Gymboree has flat sneakers that are sparkly, striped, and tied with bows, while Famous Footwear has sneaks that light up, Converses in every color of the rainbow, and kicks for gym class. And if you’re ready for an overload of cuteness, check out OshKosh B’Gosh’s selection of Sherpa slip-ons, Emoji-embroidered sneakers, and ballet flats in every style.
6. Tack on a trendy tie. A patterned tie or striped bowtie is a fun way to show some class. Check out OshKosh B’Gosh or J. Crew for plaid, striped, and even bear patterned ties (clip-ons, of course). While your little lady could totally rock a tie, scarves are also a fashionable way to keep warm and look cute. J. Crew has tons that are perfectly preppy.
7. Wet your whistle. Okay, okay. This isn’t an outfit recommendation. But some schools just won’t budge when it comes to wardrobe. So, find a colorful water bottle for your little one to carry around all day (they’ll look cute and stay hydrated—win, win!). L.L. Bean has kids water bottles with rainbows, hedgehogs, and dinosaurs, while The Kitchen Collection offers an assortment of colored bottles at a fair price.
Find everything you need for back to school at The Lake George Outlets. With more than 50 outlet stores within walking distance, you’re bound to find trendy styles at convenient prices. Learn more at www.lakegeorgeoutlets.com.